Title & Lien Release | Car Donations
Vehicles for Change needs proper documentation in order to take ownership of a donated vehicle. Read below to learn what documentation is needed for your donation:
VFC must receive an original title for each donated vehicle.
How to Obtain a Duplicate
Request for a duplicate title can be made through your state's Department of Motor Vehicles. These requests can be made online in some states. In order to request a duplicate, the vehicle owner must have the car's VIN (vehicle identification number) and title number on hand. Both of these can be found on the car's registration card.
Prepare the Vehicle Title for Donation
Follow these instructions for assigning ownership of your car to Vehicles for Change. Do not scratch out items or use white out on the title, as this may require that a duplicate title be obtained.
- Sign and print your name on the title as the seller, exactly as your name appears on the title. If two people are listed on the title, both need to print their names and sign.
View a sample Maryland title
View a sample Virginia title
- List Vehicles for Change as the buyer on the title.
- Vehicles for Change will complete the remaining fields as needed
- Copy or scan both sides of the signed title for your records
Lien Release/Security Interest Filing
Due to title transfer regulations, VFC may require a lien release for some car donations. A lien release is needed if there was financing involved in the donor's purchase of the car and the lien holder is still referenced on the face of the title.
How to Obtain a Duplicate
Contact the lending institution that provided financing for the vehicle and ask that they provide a letter that demonstrates that the vehicle has been paid in full. The letter must:
- Be printed on the lending institution's letterhead. Electronic copies will not suffice.
- Reference the vehicle's Year, Make, Model and VIN (vehicle identification number).
- State that the vehicle has been paid in full and that the lending institution no longer holds any security in the vehicle
In order to process each donation quickly & efficiently, VFC must have all documentation at the point of vehicle pick up.
VFC cannot process a vehicle donation until all documentation has been received. This means that the donor's tax deduction will be delayed until we have received the necessary paperwork.
Missing documentation should be mailed to Vehicles for Change.
Documentation for Maryland/Washington D.C. and Virginia donations should be mailed to:
Attn: Donations Coordinator
Vehicles for Change
4111 Washington Blvd.
Halethorpe, MD 21227
Questions? Contact our Donations Coordinator directly at 410-242-9676 or visit our Title/Lien FAQ page.