TIER I PROGRAM
Tier I, VFC’s main program, awards vehicles to qualified low-income families and guarantees their low-interest loans. The program is designed for clients of VFC’s partner social-service and job-readiness agencies.
Applying for the Program
Applications are available only through VFC partner agencies. Only an agency in your home state or county can submit an application on your behalf. You cannot apply directly to VFC. Although agencies submit the applications, Vehicles for Change alone selects car recipients.
Contact your case worker for further information.
Paying for the Car
Cars cost about $750, and monthly payments are approximately $75. If you’re selected for the Tier I Program, Vehicles for Change will guarantee a low-interest loan regardless of your credit history. Vehicles in this program carry a six-month/6,000 mile warranty and, with proper maintenance, will deliver reliable service for at least 24,000 miles or two years.
Do I Qualify?
To qualify for this program, you must meet the following criteria. We consider only the applications of qualified individuals.
- You must have a verifiable job offer or be working at least 30 hours a week
- You must have a driver’s license in the state in which you reside
- You must be insurable (no DWIs or DUIs)
- You must not have any other vehicle in your household
- You must be drug free and have no extensive criminal background
- You must be able to cover fees for taxes, tags and title (approximately an additional $500)
- If you are under the age of 25, you must have children
- You must be referred to us through a sponsoring agency that is based in your county or state of residence
- You must be able to afford the ongoing cost of car ownership (insurance, fuel and repairs, as needed).
- To ensure that vehicles are reserved for families in need, there are income restrictions:
Household Size Maximum Income Level 1 $22,000 2 $26,000 3 $30,000 4 $33,500 5 $37,000 6 $41,500
If you do not have a sponsoring agency or do not meet these income requirements, you may be interested in our Tier II Program.
For more information, contact your case worker or VFC.