Thank You For Your Car Donation
Thank you for your donation to Vehicles for Change. If you are planning on replacing this vehicle, please visit Freedom Wheels, a subsidiary of VFC, where all proceeds help prepare cars for our worthy families.
We will be contacting you within 24 hours regarding your donation (an evening or weekend donation will be responded to on the next business day). In the interim, if you have any questions please call us at 855-820-7990.
Within 24 hours of receiving your donation response from the VFC Director, you will be contacted by a towing company to schedule a pick-up time. Pick-up is typically scheduled within 3 business days (except during December and early January).
- Please have the keys, title and lien release (if applicable) ready for the tow company.
- Remove license tags, and return them to the Department of Motor Vehicles before canceling the insurance.
- Remove personal belongings from the vehicle
Title and Lien Release
Have title and lien release (if applicable) ready for the tow company. If you are not present for pick-up, you may choose to leave these documents in the car’s glove box or behind the sun visor.
- Sign and print your name on the title as the seller, exactly as your name appears on the title.
View a sample Maryland title
View a sample Virginia title
- List Vehicles for Change as the buyer on the title. Vehicles for Change will complete the remaining fields as needed.
- Copy or scan both sides of the signed title for your records.
Please note: We must have the title to complete your donation. Fill in only the buyer and seller fields. The Department of Motor Vehicles is very strict about titles. They will not accept titles that contain errors or have information scratched out.
Your Tax Receipt
Per IRS regulations, Vehicles for Change will send you a receipt that explains how the car was used and what you can deduct from your taxes.
- If the donated car is awarded to a family, you will receive a receipt within 30 days of the car’s pickup date. Your deduction will be the fair market value of the vehicle.
- If the donated car is sent to auction, you will receive a tax receipt within 30 days of the car’s sale.Your deduction will be the selling price of the vehicle.
- If the donated car is sold on our retail lot, you will receive a tax receipt within 30 days of the car’s sale. If a major repair (engine, transmission work) is made to the vehicle before it sells, your deduction is the vehicle’s fair market value, minus the cost of the repair. If no major repairs were made to the vehicle, your deduction will be the selling price of the vehicle.