Recipient Resources - Vehicles for Change
Car Owner Orientation Session
Before receiving your vehicle, you will be required to attend a car orientation session. During the session, you will sign important paperwork such as your customer agreement, loan agreement (if applicable) and warranty.
Before your session, you must:
- Confirm with the Motor Vehicle Administration/Department of Motor Vehicles that you will be allowed to receive tags (i.e. those who have outstanding tickets or an insurance compliance violation will not be able to receive tags until issues are cleared)
- Purchase car insurance
- Prepare to be at the orientation session for several hours. Arrange for appropriate childcare and backup transportation as needed
- Watch the following videos, VFC Orientation and Understanding Your Car:
Please bring to your session:
- Proof of automobile insurance
- Funds for MVA/DMV fees, which includes taxes, title, tags and registration. You will need the exact amount if paying with cash. Bank card or credit card are accepted, but not personal checks. Your awards coordinator will notify you of the cost in advance
Check your customer car owner orientation sheet for specific information on your warranty length and coverage.
Vehicles must have their oil changed every 3 months or 3,000 to maintain a valid warranty. You may be required to present the receipts from oil changes upon a repair request.
In general, a VFC warranty does not cover the following items:
- Tune ups
- Oil changes
- Car accessories such as the radio, sunroof, antenna or other extra features
- Brake pads and shoes (friction materials)
- Air conditioning system and components
- Front end alignment
- Fuses or all other owner responsibilities regular maintenance items
- Damages resulting from collision, vandalism, negligence, faulty operation or maintenance
Note: VFC will not provide a loaner or pay for a rental vehicle if your car is being repaired. You must keep all repair appointments in order to retain your warranty. Repairs that are covered by warranty cannot be submitted for reimbursement.
If you hold a AAA membership, they can be reached at 540-785-0282.