Are you on the road to self-sufficiency but struggle with transportation? Are you ready to gain access to better employment opportunities and enjoy personal independence? Vehicles for Change may be able to help you get there!
We receive car donations from the public, make them “road ready,” and then award them at affordable prices to eligible families in Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC.
To qualify for a vehicle, you must meet the following basic criteria:
- You must have a verifiable job offer or be working at least 30 hours a week
- You must have a driver’s license in the state in which you reside
- You must be insurable (no DWIs or DUIs)
- You must not have any other vehicle in your household
- You must be drug free and have no extensive criminal background
- You must be able to cover fees for taxes, tags and title (approximately an additional $500)
- If you are under the age of 25, you must have children
- You must be able to afford the ongoing cost of car ownership (insurance, fuel and repairs, as needed)
We have two programs that award vehicles. Additional qualifications can be found on these program pages.
Tier I Program
Tier I, our main program, awards cars to qualifying low-income families for about $750. Approximately 25 percent of donated vehicles are capable of being used for this program.
We guarantee low-interest loans for recipients regardless of their credit history. The program is exclusively for clients of social-service and job-readiness agencies with which VFC has partnerships. Learn more and find out if you qualify.
Tier II Program
Our Tier II Program awards vehicles at below-market prices to eligible individuals who have modest incomes. If you do not meet the income requirements of our Tier I Program and/or do not have a sponsoring agency, this may be the program for you. Learn more and find out if you qualify.
Maryland Transportation Assistance Program (TAP)
Vehicles for Change is also the contract vendor for the Maryland Transportation Assistance Program (TAP). Learn more about this program.