Where Can I Donate My Car?August 29, 2022
When donating your car to charity, you have a few different options. Most organizations have a simple donation form you fill out online. From there, most organizations will come to you to pick up your vehicle free of charge. It’s important to know, however, that you shouldn’t just blindly donate your vehicle without doing your research. This article will explore three car donation tips to consider before choosing which organization or charity to donate your car to this year.
Three Car Donation Tips to Consider
- Choose an organization that accepts car donations directly. Knowing where your donation is going for legal and tax purposes is essential. The Maryland Department of Transportation requires the licensing of charities as Maryland wholesale dealers. When you donate your vehicle, you must transfer the title over to the charity, the same as you would if selling the car. Some charities request that you leave the name of ownership blank when handing the car over to them. That is why you want to ensure you know the organization accepts the vehicle directly, so you can trust you won’t be responsible for any issues down the line. In addition, to get your total tax credit, you want to ensure you have the correct paperwork from the organization and that they are getting the most out of your donation.
- Choose a charity that’s a 501(c)(3). If you want to ensure your donation is tax-deductible, confirm that the organization receiving your gift is an established 501(c)(3) non-profit. As long as you donate to a 501(c)(3) organization and don’t receive anything for your donation, you are eligible for a deduction when you file your taxes. In addition, when you donate to a 501(c)(3) charity, you usually have more information regarding what happens to your donation and how it’s directly benefiting another person or persons.
- Do your research. Choose a reputable and successful organization to make the most of your car donation. Carefully selecting your donation recipient will help to increase the amount that goes to charity. It will also significantly lower your risk of an IRS audit. While it may seem that every charity is out to do only good by benefitting those in need, it’s essential to examine the details. For example, not all charities will return all proceeds from car sales to the charity itself. Ensure your values align with the charity receiving your gift so that it goes to a cause you care about and support.
Vehicles for Change is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that offers many benefits to donors and recipients:
- We offer complimentary pickup of your vehicle.
- We are the nation’s largest affordable car ownership program and have the privilege of selling cars to many families in need at great rates.
- Through our job-training program, we provide re-entry skills to men and women, teaching them how to become skilled auto mechanics. Firms within the automotive industry hire 100% of our Full Circle program graduates! The difficulty of earning a living wage is a significant factor in the U.S.’s 70% recidivism rate, which is why re-entry is a considerable part of our mission. We do our part to offer former inmates a second chance at creating a better life.
- Even if you don’t donate your vehicle to us, our Full Circle Auto Repair Centers offer low-cost maintenance and repairs to your car. We directly invest all funds generated at our repair centers into our programs.
- Freedom Wheels, our retail-used car lot, offers affordable, pre-used vehicles. All vehicles are under warranty, Maryland-inspected, and come with a 3-day or 150-mile buyback guarantee.
- We offer donors a tax advantage. 99% of charities in the U.S. use donated vehicles for revenue only, then send them straight to auction. In contrast, we repair and refurbish donated vehicles so many donors can claim their cars’ full fair market value as a deduction if their car is given to a family.
Contact Us Today
We know you have many great options when choosing which charity to donate your car to this year. We strongly believe in how we serve the Baltimore community and are thrilled to have awarded over 7,500 vehicles to low-income families, changing the lives of 26,000 people. If you’re interested in learning more about donating your car to Vehicles of Change, reach out to us by calling 855-820-7990 or by reaching out to us on our website here.