Who Should I Donate My Car To?October 21, 2022
When you decide to donate your car, many charities are available to you. However, different charities will use your donation differently, so it’s best to research charities and find the one that most aligns with your values. This article will explore which charity options are available and how to choose the best fit for you.
How Charities Utilize Your Car Donation
- Charities that sell your car donation for parts: Some charities will use your donation for car parts. Donating your car may not be worth selling it or fixing it up to help someone, so sometimes it’s used for parts to go toward other cards instead.
- Charities that sell off your car: Some charities will only sell off your vehicle and use the proceeds to benefit those in need or help the organization function in the most productive way possible.
- Charities that utilize your car: Some charities will use the donations to perform business functions.
- Charities that sell cars to those in need: Some charities will sell the donated vehicles to families in need to help them access better-paying jobs and better opportunities for their families. When families have access to better-paying jobs, they can often show up for their families in more ways.
Consider Your Values When Donating Your Vehicle
When choosing who to donate your car to, it can be helpful to look inward at your values. That way you can align your donation with what matters most to you. Here are some tips for choosing who to donate to based on your values.
- Do you have anyone close to you who has struggled with an illness or disorder? If so, you can see if any charities help that specific cause. Focusing on a personal cause can make your donation more meaningful.
- Even if you do not have a personal connection to the issue, are there any causes that you care about that some charities address? For example, at Vehicles for Change, we have a Full Circle training program that provides reentry skills to men and women to become auto mechanics. To reduce recidivism, VFC works to provide skills to help give formerly incarcerated individuals a second chance. 100% of graduates from this training program find jobs in the auto industry immediately.
- Do you have military personnel in your family? You can consider donating to charities that specifically help military veterans by donating used vehicles. Donating cars can be a great way to help service members.
- Overall, finding a charity or organization that aligns with your values can make the experience of donating your car much more meaningful. Take your time researching charities that accept car donations, as they all have different processes and purposes.
Contact Us Today
When it comes to donating your car to a charity, you have many options. Vehicles for Chance is the nation’s largest affordable car ownership program, having awarded 7,600 cars to low-income families in Baltimore and improved the lives of over 26,000 people. 75% of our recipients gained access to better-paying jobs or increased their earnings. We’ve also been able to help many men and women gain reentry skills through our Full Circle training program, allowing them to lead more fulfilling lives. To learn more about Vehicles for Change and our non-profit, we invite you to call us at 855-820-7990 or send us a message here.