Knowing When to Donate Your CarSeptember 29, 2022
Knowing when to donate your car can be difficult. We all know that donating belongings we no longer use is a great way to help those in need. However, it can be challenging to let go of our possessions because we’ve become attached to them somehow. Perhaps you’re holding onto an antique chair that once belonged to a close family member, or your closet is packed to the brim because you can’t bring yourself to let go of your late mother’s wardrobe. Developing a sentimental attachment to material things is quite common for many of us, especially in moments of grief.
A car is no exception. Whether you inherited a vehicle after someone close to you passed on or you’ve owned your car for some time, it can be hard to let go of the attachment you have developed for it. However, it all comes down to perspective. Rather than focusing on what you’re losing by giving the car away, consider the value it will bring to a person in need who receives it.
There are currently 81,000 low-income households in Baltimore without access to a car. And unfortunately, when adults don’t have a car, they often can’t commute to higher-paying jobs, keeping them in poverty. Yet when receiving a car donation, 75% of Vehicles for Change recipients could get better jobs and increase their earnings, helping them to provide for their families. Over 95% of recipients could take their kids to extracurricular activities. All this to say, someone who receives your car donation could have their life drastically improved because of it.
5 Signs that Indicate You’re Ready to Donate Your Vehicle
- You want to give back. If you’ve stumbled upon a great charity, and you know how much of an impact your car donation can make on a needy family. It’s time to take the next step. As mentioned before, knowing that your car is helping someone gain access to a better life is a great incentive to make it happen. To donate your car to Vehicles for Change, follow these three simple steps.
- You’d benefit from a tax reduction. One of the great perks of donating your car to charity is writing off the vehicle’s value during tax season. Many donors can claim the total market value of their vehicles as their deduction if the car goes to a family, which is always the goal with car donations given to Vehicles for Change.
- If you’d like to get rid of your vehicle quickly. Donating your car could be your best option if you’re looking to get rid of your vehicle as fast as possible. At Vehicles for Change, we make the donation process as simple as possible. You can donate your car in three easy steps. First, you fill out a form online. Then you schedule a pickup date. Lastly, you meet the tow truck, and voila – you’re finished and will receive a towing receipt upon pickup and a tax receipt within 30-60 days.
- The repairs cost more than the value of your vehicle. Vehicles for Change will gladly accept the donation if your car is more expensive to repair than it’s worth. In this case, our team of master mechanics inspects the vehicle and repairs it to maximize its value. We either award it to a family, send it to auction, or place it on our retail lot, using all proceeds to repair other cars to help families in need.
- You found a charity that aligns with your values. If you have found a charity that aligns with your values, donating a car to that charity may be the next best step. For example, Vehicles for Change started a job training program, Full Circle Automotive Training Program, which provides re-entry skills to men and women to be skilled auto mechanics. 100% of Full Circle Training graduates find jobs within the automotive industry. If you’re passionate about working against recidivism and have a car to donate, Vehicles for Chance could be the right charity for you!
Contact Us Today
If you’re ready to donate your car to Vehicles for Change, begin by filling out our online donation form here. We’ve helped improve the lives of over 26,000 individuals through car donations because of generous donors like you. If you’d like to speak to someone from our team on the phone, reach out by calling 855-820-7990. We look forward to hearing from you!